1. freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control.
2. freedom from external or foreign rule; independence.
3. freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice.
4. freedom from captivity, confinement, or physical restraint: The prisoner soon regained his liberty.
5. permission granted to a sailor, especially in the navy, to go ashore.
Of these dictionary definitions number 3 strikes closest to my definition.
Number 1 is dependent on personal opinion one man’s idea of despotic government control may be another’s idea of an ideal government.
Number 2 is also ambiguous, is federal control foreign rule? Some think so.
Numbers 4 and 5 are self-explanatory.
Number 3 covers just about everything and is my definition of choice. However I would add the qualifier.
These freedoms should be tempered with a condition of doing no harm and/or endangering our fellow inhabitants of this world we all share.
While speaking of freedoms and liberties my thoughts come to the most recent attack on them by the Republicans in Michigan. The bill being pushed through congress to fine citizens for participating in peaceful demonstrations is a prime example of government control and removal of our personal freedoms. A violation of our first amendment rights!
IMHO this bill will be passed and signed into law by Governor Snyder, he who speaks with forked tongue.
We all must join together and continue in our efforts to remove these liberty absconders from office.
Carry on my friends, carry on!